Monday, October 31, 2005

Reaching His Threshold


Well I now know what amount of stimulus it takes to cause my dog to jump from a moving truck. The other day Jeremy and I were driving down a steep hill going around 20-25 miles an hour, when up ahead I see it. The source of stimulus that will cause Charlie to swan dive out of the back of a moving vehicle. Two deer were crossing the road in front of me, and I said out loud. "ohhh Damn"! A quick glance to the rearview mirror I see Charlie up on the side barking as if to call down the thunder of all those leapers who had gone before him. A glance to my side mirror bodes me the view of him leaping as far from the truck as he can, sending the deer steppin and fetchin like their tails were on fire. A glance over my shoulder shows Charlie almost landing on his feet but quickly going to his face, in no time he is on his back sliding at the same speed as the truck. Then over to his feet were he dug his claws into the asphalt for any sort of traction. And once he ground to a stop, he was off after those deer. I called him back and had him get in between Jeremy and only to find that he was fine with some cuts, but visibly still excited about his adventure.
The reason I know this was because as Jeremy put it. "his Charles Mingus is laying on the seat man"!!
Indeed it was, indeed it was.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Thank you for having the courage to not leave out the most important part of that story. That I saw Chuck's Charles Mingus playing Goodbye Pork Pie Hat on your seat.

I will never be the same....

Jeremy

DrD said...

Thanks for the laugh Charles Mingus!

Neil Young has a song about his dog King in the back of the truck and jumping out.

DrD said...

Aaron, per your request, I posted some photos on my blog